Saturday, April 16, 2011

First Update in a Long Time

What has happened in that long time:
1) Fixed a bug with the camera and
2) Got connector for radio but have not actually hooked it up yet.

This may not seem like much, but I don't have much time now that school has started up again -- I am writing this while waiting for OpenOffice.org 3.3 to install so that I can go back to writing my lab report for ECE152B -- and it took a long time to get the parts from Marvac for reasons that I will tell after talking about the camera.  The bug with the camera was a major one that, like the earlier camera problems, was cause by bad documentation.  The bug made it so that the camera could only take one picture without being reset.  At first I did not notice this because I was only taking one picture per power cycle, which is obviously not an acceptable solution for the actual balloon.  Fortunately, once I realized that the problem existed, I was able to fix it after a couple of hours of browsing the manufactures forums.

Now for the radio connector story.  When I ordered the stuff for this project from digikey I was mainly focused on parts that would go on the PCB, and forgot that the radio needed a female connector.  Not wanting to pay the shipping from digikey to just get two connectors and the corresponding crimp on pins I decided to go to our local electronics store which, in retrospect, was a mistake.  When I walked into the store I asked if they had any connector housings with 20 pins in two rows with two mm square spacing.  The person helping me said yes.  Next I asked if they had any crimp on contacts that could go in the housing and the person said no, but he could order it for me. (OpenOffice 3.3 just finished installing, to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment